Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Photographic Color Theory

I have finally come to the realization that I won't waste anymore of my time and energy on looking for internships and focus on an independent project. I've thought about several conceptual ideas that I could do as my project, but the main two that I thought were the strongest was a "copy the masters" idea and a color theory idea. For my "copy the masters", I wanted to visually interpret master paintings using photography as my media, but I know that this idea has been done before and I wanted to do something more original. So my second idea concerns color theory, which I have been studying in Drawing and Painting. I want to base my photographs on Josef Albers's idea of color theory and the relationship between certain colors, but instead using simple blocks of color, I want to incorporate people to make my project unique and individualize it to my aesthetic. I talked to Ms. Sheehy, my mentor, about this idea and she thought it was a very strong, conceptual idea but a big challenge is lighting because colors are so dependant on lighting. Here is a list of things I have to focus on:
  • Study Josef Albers and color theory
  • Learn how to use appropriate lighting
  • Decide ideas for each photo and which colors to use
  • Find models
  • Conceptualize each photograph
  • Decide on what color relationships to use
  • Practice make up/ buy body paint
  • Find a place to shoot
  • Construct sets and decide on which props to use
  • Find appropriate lighting/where to borrow lighting equipment
  • Shoot the photographs in studio (potentially in basement)
  • Edit/Photoshop each individual photograph
  • Make sure the color relationships are completely accurate (warm,cold tones)
  • Find place where I can print my photographs
  • Decide on how I want them framed/matted
  • Ask local restaurants/galleries if they would exhibit my color theory series
  • Plan WISE presentation
This is a basic to-do list of what I need to focus on, and I'm sure there are a lot of other things to, but this is my main goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment